Monday, June 3, 2013

Week 6 - Building Base Knowledge (Genres)

Week 6: Assignment 1 
In Week 1: Assignment 4, you began following one of the genre links on the right.  Write a blog post about your discoveries.

I started following the Heroes and Heartbreakers genre link. I chose this genre because I do not read romance books. Since I started following this genre I have found out that there are romance books for all types of people. The covers on romance books gives a hint to the sexyness level of the book. Did you know that there are Mystery novels in romance? I did not until I started following this link. I will keeo following this resource because it is proven to be a valuable resource.

Week 6: Assignment 2 
Explore this Prezi link of Fiction Genres and Subgenres.

I think the Prezi link is fantastic. A thumbnail description of Fiction Genres and Subgenres and how they are interconnected. A printable view of the thumbnail would be great resource at the information desk.

Week 6: Assignment 3 
Pick 3 subgenres that you are unfamiliar with.
  • Find a fan website for each subgenre and summarize the current buzz among fans. Why are they excited about this subgenre? How did you find the website?
  • List three authors or titles that are associated with or typify each of these 3 subgenres.  What are the hallmarks or appeal factors of each of the subgenres?
  • Mashups of subgenres, e.g. steampunk westerns, are becoming increasingly popular.  Find two titles, not shown on the flowchart, which could cross over into another subgenre. Describe your rationale.
The three subgenres I chose are:
1. Chick-Lit
Fan website: www.chicklitbooks.com - I found this website by doing a Google search.

Buzz among fans: This site uses tags which makes it easy to find popular topics.
Three authors: Sophie Kinsella, Jill Mansell, Nancy Thayer,
Appeal Factors: personal stories, realistic, about women

2. Cozy Mysteries
Fan website:www.cozy-mystery.com

Buzz among fans: This site does a great job of having book recommendations.
Three authors: Donald Bain & Jessica Fletcher, Katherine Hall Paige, Agatha Christie
Appeal Factors: small town, amateur sleuth,

3. Christian Urban Fiction
Fan website: www.christianbook.com

Buzz among fans: This site is dedicated to all Christian books but I focused on Christian Urban
Three authors: Pat Simmons, Vanessa Miller, Mimi Jefferson
Appeal Factors: Christian, Urban setting

Mashups of subgenres:
1. Traditional Western and Steampunk is a mashup of subgenre. The Hunter by Theresa Meyers combines cowboys with elements of steampunk. I found this title on the genre resource I have been following - Heroes and Heartbreakers. I think this book would appeal to a lot of readers.
2. Dystopian Spy Thriller is a mashup of subgenres. Goodreads classifies Memoria by Alex Bobl as a Dystopian Spy Thriller. I think this book would be fantastic because I think these two subgenres would be great mix.

No comments:

Post a Comment